GeeCon is organised by Desert Monkey Incorporated. Every effort is made to create an environment which caters to the anime, cosplay and gaming community. We would like to remind attendees they are expected to be responsible and law abiding.
Violations of these rules may result in ejection from the festival without refund and may be banned from future Desert Monkey Inc. events.
General Conditions of Entry
- Entry to GeeCon and associated events/venues is at an own risk basis.
- All costumes and props are to be check at security.
- Passes/wristbands MUST be worn and visible at all times.
- Cosplay is highly encouraged but must adhere to the Dress Code and Cosplay Policy.
- Weapons and props must adhere to the Weapon & Prop Policy.
- Food from outside sources are not allowed inside the Convention Centre, this includes food purchased from outside food stalls organised for GeeCon. Only food purchased inside the Conventions Centre is allowed inside the Convention Centre.
- No alcohol or illicit drugs will be allowed into the venue and surrounding area and; no smoking is permitted inside public/function areas.
- No sales, advertising or the solicitation of any type of goods or services on the festival premises without written permission from Desert Monkey Inc. See Sales
- Animals/pets are not allowed into the venue or the event except for people who require a registered Guide Dog to assist with their mobility.
- Pass holders consent to be photographed or recorded as members of the crowd and/or audience by individuals authorised by Desert Monkey Inc. and grants Desert Monkey Inc. permission to use such images or footage for archival or promotional purposes. Refer to Filming and Photography for further information.
- Desert Monkey Inc. reserves the right to refuse entry to and/or eject from the festival and any associated events any patron acting in a dangerous manner or in a manner that may cause harm to themselves or other attendees. See Behaviour
- No ‘free-hug’ signs or similar signs.
The general rating of GeeCon is ‘PG‘. Some areas and events may exceed this rating and will be clearly marked. The G, PG and M classifications are advisory only and as such, these areas are open to all attendees.
Due to differences in international rating structures and systems, some adult situations may be present. We have indicated these events on the programming schedule where possible to help our attendee’s. Parental guidance is ALWAYS recommended.
MA15+ is a legally restricted classification. Attendees must be able to prove proof-of-age as being 15 or over to participate in MA15+ rated gaming tournaments or enter MA15+ areas or screenings of the festival. Participants under 15 years of age are permitted only when they are accompanied by their parent or guardian. The “guardian” must be exercising “parental control” over the person under 15 years of age. The guardian needs to be 18 years or older. This is a legal requirement under Australian classification law and is not negotiable.
All attendees must behave respectfully towards individuals and groups as well as festival staff. Attendees acting disrespectfully or disruptively at GeeCon may be ejected from the festival.
In the interest of respecting the rights of people who want to be left alone, the following behaviours are considered unacceptable without prior consent of the recipient: hugging, glomping, back-slapping, kissing or other unwanted physical contact. This also includes unwanted advances or other similar forms of behaviour considered to be harassment. Please refer to our Harassment Policy for more information.
Any activities deemed to be nuisances to the festival or the festival premises, including excessive noise or behaviour considered generally disruptive, dangerous, or damaging will result in ejection from the festival and may result in further civil and criminal liability.
Criminal actions, if they occur, should be reported to security who will follow through with the appropriate course of action deemed necessary. Security does not have general responsibility for any aspect of the Festival, but can choose to respond to any disruptive action occurring anywhere in the Venue. If security chooses to remove an individual from the festival , Desert Monkey Inc. or security will immediately revoke the attendee’s pass without the right to refund.
Attendees must wear their passes at all times. Those who do not have their passes properly displayed may be asked to purchase a replacement pass or be escorted from the event.
Passes guarantee entrance into GeeCon, but do not guarantee advertised events or programs. GeeCon reserves the right to add, withdraw, reschedule, substitute and/or vary advertised programs at any point.
While every care is taken to ensure that events within the festival run according to schedule, at times this will not be possible. Passes are non-refundable if individual events, guests, screenings or tournaments run outside of schedule or are cancelled.
Lost Passes: The festival is not responsible for lost, misplaced, or stolen passes. While staff will endeavor to accommodate attendees who have lost their pass, the festival makes NO GUARANTEES that participants who have lost their passed will be readmitted free of charge. Further, any special privileges granted by the original pass are not guaranteed on a replacement pass.
Dress Code, Cosplay and Costumes
Attendees should dress in a modest and appropriate manner, including when in costume. Desert Monkey Inc. reserves the right to deem a costume as unacceptable and request the wearer to change or make modifications as necessary so that it is acceptable. GeeCon is a family friendly event, please keep this in mind when choosing or creating your costumes.
- No inappropriate costumes. Public exposure of genitalia, buttocks or (female) breasts is not permitted. Painting private body parts is also not considered part of a costume.
- Costumes must not use official military, law enforcement, emergency service or government agency uniforms, logos, badges, patches or acronyms (Police, AFP, TAG, TRG, FBI, CIA etc.)
- Official flags used as part of a cosplay MUST be displayed with due respect.
- Signs may be brought by attendees as part of a costume or cosplay. Any sign containing language deemed by GeeCon organisers to be foul, offensive, soliciting, or promoting merchandise of any kind is subject to removal or confiscation, even if done as part of a cosplay. This includes signs advertising “free hugs” or similar signs. Any sign excessive in size or disruptive is subject to removal or confiscation.
Filming and Photography
- Always ask for permission before photographing or video recording anyone.
- Take special care not to obstruct the flow of traffic.
- Photography and recordings may be permitted during workshops, panels and in the Artists’ Area at the discretion of the host(s)/artists involved. If you are unsure whether photography or videography are allowed during a particular event or in a particular area, ask permission from staff first.
- Flash photography is not permitted during stage events for safety reasons.
- The use of cameras in the screening rooms, the Art Gallery, and the Dealers’ Area is prohibited.
- The festival reserves the right to prohibit photography and/or videotaping of any event or area.
- Festival staff may review and/or demand deletion of any unauthorized photographs or video recordings.
Every due care has been taken to ensure the venue is safe. Desert Monkey Inc., its organising committee, staff and volunteers (including its associates) and the venue/s are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury that occurs during the event. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Staff are on hand for assistance in any situation, but any civil or medical emergency is to be handled directly by the relevant authorities.